Monday, August 20, 2012

YLSNE 50 Unplugged

Our camping location is pretty much out of range of service, and my phone also died after the first evening of camping. So, for the first time in probably way too long, I was off the grid. I learned two things about the negative side of technology from this:

1. It was such a beautiful break (that's not the negative part). And I felt totally present with my friends. And it wasn't at all difficult. Once I realized that I had no way of knowing what was going on outside of the little camping world we had created, I just let it go and very much enjoyed my weekend. We also noticed how our conversations changed. If we couldn't remember something, we continued talking about it and sorting it out together. Had we an iPhone, someone would have looked it up and conversation over. It was a truly good reminder of how technology can hinder communication and relationship and not necessarily aid in developing either.

2. I also noticed on the drive home today that I've become unnecessarily attached to my Google Maps app. I have a pretty good sense of direction and functional map in my head that generally helps me get everywhere I want to go quite well. But this natural ability has been dulled over the past 2 years as I have started resorting to looking at Google maps instead. I had a moment today where I felt a bit lost when my friend asked a question about our route home and I didn't know how to respond because I couldn't whip out my phone and look it up on my Google map. I have a feeling, however, that this natural ability would be a bit like my knowledge of the Japanese language. It may seem fuzzy and dysfunctional right now, but if I were in a situation where I had to use it, it would probably come back in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment