Sunday, August 19, 2012

YLSNE 49

I'm camping right now during a perfect Albertan summer weekend. My contribution to the camping supplies was a wood-burning camp stove. I bought the stove several years ago at a silent auction and have only used it a handful of times. It came with a starter kit of small wood blocks, but the stove is advertised as being able to use whatever scraps of wood and such that you find around your campsite, an environmentally friendly alternative to the Colemans. Once the remainder of the original bag of nice wood blocks ran out, we started collecting stuff from around our campsite...and learned that this doesn't work so well. It may have taken most of the day, but I think we've learned how best to work the stove and what to feed it. We did end up scrounging around the firewood lot for a bit trying to find suitable wood scraps, and thoroughly amused the campsite hosts in the meantime. However, they dropped by later to see what this crazy little stove was all about and thought it was quite ingenious.

No comments:

Post a Comment