Thursday, August 30, 2012

YLSNE 61

Today was more about re-learning than learning.

I re-learned that worrying is futile, and more often than not, your worst fears won't come true. So many things could have gone wrong today, but everything worked out smoothly and better than I could have hoped.

I also re-learned how to grocery shop without a car. Well, maybe I didn't because I bought way too much and I had to take several breaks on the walk from the train station to my new apartment to give my arms a rest from the heavy bags.

I also re-learned that Ottawa is further south than Edmonton, meaning it gets dark way earlier. I had to remind myself that I was only a day closer to winter, not a month.

I also re-learned that there are more big weird bugs here as I found a scary centipede-like thing scooting across the floor, uncomfortably close to my makeshift bed.

And I re-learned that water boils faster here than in Edmonton because it is a lower elevation.

I have learned that I have noisy new neighbours, but at least it's happy noisy, not angry noisy.

I also learned that grocery prices are much higher here, and not just because of tax. I can't remember if it was that way 4 years ago when I lived here, but I certainly had some sticker shock today. Especially in the produce department. The produce prices resembled mid-winter prices and not middle-of-harvest-season prices.

And I am learning the quirks of my new apartment. It's sounds, uneven floors, oddly placed light switches.

No comments:

Post a Comment