Sunday, October 7, 2012

YLSNE 99


In celebration of being able to take a real day off today, I headed to the National Gallery of Canada this afternoon. This was one of my favourite places in Ottawa during my MA, but haven't been back there since moving back. I headed to the Canadian exhibit first thing to see my beloved Group of Seven paintings.

However, that's where I learned that my favourite Group of Seven painter, Tom Thomson, was not in fact part of the group of seven, and died before they even became known as that group. He was a huge influence on the group of seven painters, however, so often mistaken for being one of them. I must have never actually read the little wall plaque about him before, but simply been lost in the beauty and mystery of his paintings. Despite not being an official Group of Seven, he's still my favourite.
Tom Thomson, "The Jack Pine"

No comments:

Post a Comment