Friday, October 19, 2012

YLSNE 111

I learned the difference today between developmental disability and mental retardation, as in there is no difference. I also learned that autistic tendencies is often a co-morbidity of developmental disabilities, but doesn't always exist with a developmental disability.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Yup and Yup. And a couple bonus facts:

1. I'm guessing you are well aware of the PC-ness of "developmental disability" versus "mental retardation", which is rarely used among professionals in the field. Many have started referring to 'retarded' as the "R word", as there are so many negative connotations nowadays.

2. The converse is also true. Many disabilities/disorders are often co-morbidly diagnosed in an individual with autism (often OCD or ADHD), but having autism does not always mean the existence of any other disability.

....So, first Vygotsky, now disability studies... When did you switch your PhD to my field??? ;)

Christen said...

Ha...this wasn't for my own studies, I was helping someone in the writing centre.

And Vygotsky is very influential in linguistics as well...so that's still my field. :)

Post a Comment