Thursday, July 5, 2012

YLSNE 5

Another disclaimer: I may not learn cheery things everyday.

I work(ed) with a bunch of lawyers, meaning legal conversations are abundant. At a good-bye shindig today for myself and another co-worker, for some reason, the topic of divorce came up. And I learned that in North America we have a no-fault divorce system, meaning that couples must be separated for 1 year before they can file for divorce. Now, I did know that was the case in most circumstances, but for some reason I thought there would be different provisions in situations where abuse or infidelity had occurred. Guess not.

I also learned that almost all court cases are open to the public unless it involves sensitive government information or when children are involved. However, I was somehow comforted to hear that not many people ever go watch court cases unless they have a personal stake in it. I'd be a bit concerned about an uninvolved member of the public wanting to know all the details of cases such as those of Luka Magnotta or Travis Baumgartner.

1 comment:

Christen said...

It's possible that the information about divorce is wrong...I may have known what was going on all along.

Nevertheless, I still did learn about the courts being open to the public.

Post a Comment