Saturday, November 10, 2012
YLSNE 133
Today I learned how to properly use the OCTranspo app on my phone. I downloaded it before I even moved to Ottawa, looked at it once and decided it was useless and/or too complicated. While waiting for the train yesterday, I decided to take another look at it, and lo and behold, it's actually quite fantastic. Not only can I save my favourite stops or routes so I don't have to search for them each time, but it seems that GPS systems on buses are somehow connected to the app. So, when looking at a specific bus stop, it will tell you not only when the next several scheduled stops will arrive, but also the actual wait according the bus GPS system. For example, the bus may be scheduled to arrive in 5 minutes, but the GPS system estimates it will be more like 7 mins. Brilliant. Edmonton needs to look into adopting this technology.
1 comment:
Edmonton is looking into this as well. I think they have it on about 10-12 buses for the Grant McCwewan and University routes right now.
Post a Comment