Tuesday, November 6, 2012

YLSNE 129

I am currently watching US election results. I am not really a political junky, but I love watching election results, at all levels of government, and even when it's an election I can't vote in. Every time the American election comes around I get confused trying to follow all their election jargon and I try to learn a bit more each time. Today, I learned about, ahem, tried to learn about electoral colleges. While I am not sure I quite yet understand the system of electoral colleges, I did learn that a state's electoral votes are representative of how many seats they have in congress and senate, which is proportional to population (with the exception of DC, which always has 3). Makes sense, and they revise these numbers every 10 years to reflect population change. I think I also learned that these electoral votes are actual people that vote on behalf of the state, and ultimately the president and vice-president are actually indirectly voted for by the people. How these people or electors are chosen varies state by state. Why this system is in place is still way beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment