Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Garden Lesson #11

Today is the first day of spring, and to acknowledge this momentous event, our tomato and squash seeds have sprouted. Whether it's seeds planted indoors, or straight into the garden, the appearance of new life never fails to amaze me. And it even takes me by surprise, as though I had some reason to doubt that it wouldn't work this time 'round.

This is the first "first day of spring" in Edmonton that I can remember actually feeling and looking like spring. This winter was also as opposite as you can possibly get from last winter and still be called winter. And I mean opposite in the best possible way.

Yet, although this winter was shorter, warmer and drier than any in recent memory, it hasn't taken away from the relief and excitement that spring inspires. Today, I am reminded that no matter how long or short, terrible or merely uncomfortable winter can be, spring will always come, new life will always spring forth. The Creator will never stop creating, even when we go through periods that feel as dead and lifeless as winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment