Monday, September 26, 2011

I used to worry all the time

Lately I've been waking to
The bluest dawns that I once slept through
The morning hangs like open chords
That I fill with my own thoughts and words 

I used to worry all the time
But I slowed down to live my life now

- Denison Witmer, "I used to worry all the time" from the album Are you a Dreamer?

I've never worried about big things. I'm not worried about natural catastrophes, or car accidents, or getting cancer, or being mugged on a dark street. I used to worry about things like money and finding work, but life as a poor student for most of my twenties taught me that life continues on and you get by with what you have...and life is not any less richer and wonderful for it.

I do, however, have a nasty habit of worrying about small things. I worry about having to make phone calls because I'm terrified of the phone. I worry about having to talk to people when I'm in a room full of strangers. I worry about having to make presentations in front of large groups of people because I have stage fright. I worry about...well a lot of things related to people. I'm a shy introvert; people can be difficult. These are the things that have the ability to keep me up half the night fretting.

However, I had a friend recently ask me what I worry about. We heard the proverbial crickets chirping while I thought about it.

The crickets are still chirping as I continue to think about this question. I wish I could say that it's because I've learned my lessons and will never again have any need to worry about anything. But I think it's that I have found a little pocket of rest in life. And gosh darn it, I'm enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment