How do you make them? Seriously, I want to know. I'm no stranger to having to make decisions, but I'm always amazed at how I have to re-learn how to do it every time a big one comes along. It's like getting to know myself over and over again.
As I mentioned in a previous post, my MBTI personality is split pretty equally between feeling and thinking. I think the scales are slightly tipped in the thinking direction, though, because although I place great value on how I "feel" about something when making decisions, feelings are really just another item on the list of pros and cons and judgments I'm making in regards to a decision.
But I realize this process works quite differently for everyone. So how do you do it? How do you weigh your options? What are important considerations? Does it matter how you feel or is being practical always the best route? Does it matter if your feelings don't really make sense or have any sort of basis? Are they important anyway?
1 comment:
It may seem like a lame answer, but the answer is, "depends on the decision." Choosing rocky road vs. maple walnut is a somewhat different decision-making process than choosing between cars, careers, or relationships, for instance (or maybe not--maybe the basic schematic is actually the same; I haven't actually looked into this).
But generally, here are some things I consider when making decisions:
1. Is it appropriate (as a Christian, as an employee, as a single, as a... whatever)
2. Is this a door God may be opening? (but if you ask this on the ice-cream decision, you're thinking too hard)
3. Can I afford it?
4. Is it worth it? (in an 'overall' sense of worth it)
5. Do I actually WANT to? OR... is it the right thing to do, even if I DON'T want to?
Post a Comment