Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Forced Eavesdropping

I use public transit by choice. So perhaps I have no right to complain about it. And considering the dismal quality of Edmonton's public transit system in comparison to other cities I've lived and public transited in, I don't really have a lot of complaints. And my one complaint isn't even really about transit, and is in no way limited to Edmonton.

The complaint: having no other choice but to listen to stranger's cell phone conversations. I can't remember the last train or bus ride I took that I didn't have to hear all about how Mark got fired from his job, or what Mary is making for dinner, or how "frickin' awesome" the Resident Evil video-gaming-a-thon was last night. I'm only sharing samples of the PG-rated conversations with you. I've been trying to erase my memories of people's sex lives or health concerns whose details I've been unfortunately privy to.

I know I tend to be an overly private person. I sometimes get sheepish about sharing my favourite colour with people I haven't yet deemed safe. But I'm pretty sure that our culture hasn't shifted so drastically that sharing every detail of your life with a train full of strangers has become perfectly acceptable. Or did I miss that memo?

One could argue that on a train you'll never see the other passengers again. Yet, even with my irregular schedule I've come to recognize many people that take the same route as me on either the bus or the train. Sometimes I spot them in some other scenario around town, like at the grocery store. I feel a sense of panic as I try and resist confronting the woman buying 6 bags of potato chips, even though I know very well, thanks to her recent train/cell phone conversation, that her doctor just told her that her cholesterol had skyrocketed and that she better lose 20 lbs or else.

Perhaps knowing that people have cholesterol problems isn't that big of a deal, but it feels wrong knowing that about someone when you haven't been told directly. It also makes for an awkward train ride for everyone around the cell phone talker. Technology may make it easier to connect with family and friends, but when used indiscriminately, it can have the adverse effect of alienating people as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment