Monday, October 11, 2010

A Launch or Two

There was something special about October 7th this year. I'm not sure why, but there was a lot going on in the city of Edmonton. And to make it even extra special, it was about as perfect an October day in Canada as you could possibly get. I think it got to 23C, brilliant sunshine, clear blue skies, and barely a breeze. Everyone seemed to be in a fabulous mood.

But writing about the weather isn't really my intent. My intent is to let you know about two important things that launched themselves into the public eye on October 7th. Both of which I happened to witness first hand.

The first has one of those ridiculously long acronyms that you always seem to miss one letter of when repeating it to someone: APCCP - in long, Alberta Policy Coalition for Cancer Prevention. My affiliation with this particular launch is work. And although it seems like just another organization trying to do something to change something, it's a nice example of a bunch of existing organizations with similar mandates and slightly different focuses trying to communicate and coordinate so that perhaps together they can make a bigger impact on cancer and chronic disease prevention in Alberta.

The other launch, and undeniably the more interesting of the two, was for the first issue of Eighteen Bridges - a literary magazine. And yes, it's a print magazine. As the editor made a little speech about the craziness of launching a print magazine in the age of digital technology, and I heard someone behind me say something about the magazine looking great on her coffee table, I had a vision. I had a picture of a nice suburban living room with a beautiful coffee table. But instead of a nice book with photos of the Rocky Mountains or a big Family Bible, there was a very utilitarian looking iPad. Technology junkies might think this an exciting vision, but I have to say, this seemed like a bleak future to me. This vision also reminded me of a comment I heard a kindergarten teacher make recently about having students that don't know how to hold a crayon when they get to kindergarten.

The editor continued, making note of the tactile pleasures of holding books and paper. And I think he's on to something. As convenient as technology is, we seem to be funneling our entire lives towards the use of only one of our five senses - sight. I suppose we could add touch - but really only the touch of the tip of our index finger as it moves deftly across our digital touch screens.

So in support of a good cause, I urge you to "Save the Senses!" and subscribe to this great new print magazine. But you can also read it for free online, but that is the limited sensory edition.

1 comment:

Gina said...

From a child development perspective, I totally agree with "save the senses"! Children need exposure to things in all five senses as they grow up; it will help them regulate the sensory world around them properly.

Post a Comment